Posts Tagged ‘scratch building models


Many Pictures of the Space Station build progress

This is just amazing building this from scratch being that it’s my very favorite film of all time.

Only having 8 weeks to do this model I’m building by the seat of my pants. And Exacto Knife, Styrene, resin and silicone molding materials to name a few and you get a model.

I have found that I can do this work faster and more to my liking than using so called modern tools such as a laser cutter or 3D printer. I could just get in there and get going.

Cris Adrian did make me a few parts that really did speed things u for me such as the hub faceplate and girders for the under construction part of the station. You can see them in the BKG and they will be gang molded to produce the many parts I will need.

Enjoy the pictures as I storm along and thank you Adam Savage for this opportunity!


Space Station Progress


Wire cutting a Glider Fuselage

I blocked out the foam with a profile and template locations 1-23.

Went to start cutting the profile right and left halves on the band saw only to find that my band saw didn’t have the clearance to cut 4 inch foam by a quarter of an inch. Now what? I considered going and buying and new larger band saw when I stepped outside in the back of my shop and saw that my neighbor’s bay doors to his shop were open and staring at me was this huge old bandsaw. I spent the next 2 hours there and cut the profiles and the cross sections.

I had a lot of foam left over so I took and piece and using the two formers I had cut already (F10-F11) and made a test cut freehand with the smaller bow I made using the old battery charger on 6 volts. I haven’t done this in years so I didn’t want to waste a actual section. The cut came out pretty clean and I was pleased.

Dug out my old “Feather Cut Bow” (remember those for cutting wing cores?) and will be stringing it up for better cuts on larger sections and wing core sections.

This was fun to do and it all came back to me. No matter what I will be using lite spackle on the foam to smooth over the areas were the bow hung up. After that I can glass it with 4oz and epoxy. 

I was thinking of using two layers of soft 4oz cloth but then again I have the strength of the foam so 1 layer may be enough and as always I want to keep the weight down. I’ll know after I get the first layer on because I’ll be able to see how strong it is. I can always add another layer.

The templates worked out well. The wire traveled well over the CA hardened edges. Tomorrow I’m going to cut more templates and more foam sections. Bit by bit I’ll have the shape of the fuse.

April 2020

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 328 other followers