Archive for the 'Uncategorized' Category


Progress still…

Being stuck in after effects hell for days now working on this movie hasn’t allowed me much time for my build.

Today I managed a whole hour and a half and started framing up the canopy form. The idea here is to make the form before I glass the fuse. The form will match the size of the unglassed fuselage. Once I pull the canopy on the vacuum form machine it will match the fuse once glassed because I’ll being pulling over the form 030 PETG,.

Hard to put into exact words but I have done this before and it works.

The form here will have blue foam added tomorrow and the foam will be sanded to form, glassed, putty, primer and then I’ll make a mold. From the mold I’ll make a Ultracal 30 casting to vacuum form over.

Got my epoxy today. “The stuff dreams are made of” 


Jantar Standard 1 Glider Progress

Jantar Glider coming along

Got to do more shaping, sanding and wing filets yesterday. Hard work really but you have to align the wing filets exactly parallel  to each other. In addition to that they need to be aligned in pitch to each other. Glider wings are usually pitched to a positive angle to the fuselage so they tend to fly nose down.

It took most of the day to do just this, When all this pointing up is done on the fuse it will be glassed in fiberglass soft drape cloth and West Systems Epoxy inside and out. 

This thing is huge. On end it towers over me at nearly 8 feet long. Wing span will be 16 feet!


More Progress on the Glider

It’s a lumpy eye sore right now but after contour sanding it will be beautiful. Once that’s done CST soft drape fiberglass and Epoxy will be applies and then she gets sanded and smoothed again.


More Building progress on the Jantar Glider

Did a bunch more cutting yesterday. It’s going to take awhile to do this. Still working on client CGI effects and the Defiant so I get it in where I can.


Defiant is closed up

Got the model closed. Next up is to seal the light leaks and put the decals on.


Wire cutting a Glider Fuselage

I blocked out the foam with a profile and template locations 1-23.

Went to start cutting the profile right and left halves on the band saw only to find that my band saw didn’t have the clearance to cut 4 inch foam by a quarter of an inch. Now what? I considered going and buying and new larger band saw when I stepped outside in the back of my shop and saw that my neighbor’s bay doors to his shop were open and staring at me was this huge old bandsaw. I spent the next 2 hours there and cut the profiles and the cross sections.

I had a lot of foam left over so I took and piece and using the two formers I had cut already (F10-F11) and made a test cut freehand with the smaller bow I made using the old battery charger on 6 volts. I haven’t done this in years so I didn’t want to waste a actual section. The cut came out pretty clean and I was pleased.

Dug out my old “Feather Cut Bow” (remember those for cutting wing cores?) and will be stringing it up for better cuts on larger sections and wing core sections.

This was fun to do and it all came back to me. No matter what I will be using lite spackle on the foam to smooth over the areas were the bow hung up. After that I can glass it with 4oz and epoxy. 

I was thinking of using two layers of soft 4oz cloth but then again I have the strength of the foam so 1 layer may be enough and as always I want to keep the weight down. I’ll know after I get the first layer on because I’ll be able to see how strong it is. I can always add another layer.

The templates worked out well. The wire traveled well over the CA hardened edges. Tomorrow I’m going to cut more templates and more foam sections. Bit by bit I’ll have the shape of the fuse.


USS Defiant update

Progress on the Defiant

I forgot how hard it is to install this many lights and sound effects, switches and run it all down a tunnel to the base where the board resides. A Tenacontrol board at that. It has three plugs on the board that easily disconnect in case the board ever has a problem to easily replace it. Never put your board inside the model.

I just taped the model together for a look. I did a lot of simple tricks to get things to light up without removing or drilling out parts of the model as other have done in the past. 

I also used Don’s Light and Magic parts. Just wonderful products he makes.

The coloring on the model is all taken from the studio model and this will be roughed up, scratched and weathered to match the studio model. I don’t like my models to look like toys with pristine paint jobs, they just lack scale and life.

Video will becoming and I’ll get into more of this then. This model has lots of push button lighting effects and sounds that my client wanted. Now I say client because I’m not getting material money and a pat on the back along with social media kudos for building this model. When you get an actual profit for all your hard work, experience and expertise then you can call it a clent build.

December 2018
« Nov    

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 317 other followers