Apr

Voyager Build Part 7

9 Responses to “Voyager Build Part 7”

1. April 30, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Yeah, you can’t obsess over details on your model builds, or you’ll never get stuff finished. (either physical modeling or CGI) Sure, there are things you can fix on the ship, but you’ll still be working on it while you’re ringing in the New Year. 😉 I know guys who obsess over tiny details on their CGI builds and they NEVER finish stuff. Or, they take a very long time finishing. Me, I get to a point where I say, “OK, it’s close enough,” and I move on, so I finish stuff.

The nacelle guts on both this ship and the TNG ships (Galaxy, Nebula, etc.) look like they’ve got copper or something in them when they’re off. Same with the nav deflector bits that glow blue. I’ve never figured out what it is. They may have some metal in there and run the lighting over that, I dunno. It’s always bugged me to not know what it is. (though, it does make me feel better that you don’t know either, because you’re a pro ;))

Anywho, your nacelles look fantastic. I love the glows. Even on the over-exposed camera, they look great.

2. April 30, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Looking good Steve, I am always amazed at how fast you work, and how effortless you make it seem, I know it is not but your skill and talent make it seem so.

Terry

3. April 30, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Thanks Chris and Terry!

4. 4 Greg
    April 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I was surprised to see that you use 220Ω resistors. That’s pretty much the low end for LED’s. You also mentioned using ‘acid’. Is this acid flux. It’s not advisable to use acid for electronics, as it can cause problems. I assume you use rosin core solder. Many modelers seem unfamiliar with techniques in soldering. The main thing is to have a well tinned tip and this will transfer the heat the most efficiently. You should also tin first the part to be soldered, then when touching the component the two will flow together. This might be why I see many wrap the resistor around the leg of the LED. Myself, I cut the leads and just solder two ends side by side.

5. April 30, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Outstanding progress. Paneling job turned out fantastic and is so much better than Aztecing. Those nacelles look superb.

Yes, tripods are evil!

6. April 30, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Well Greg for 4.5 it’s fine but at 9 volt and 1000 mah I was getting hot. My fault. not thinking.

I got away with a tiny bit of acid out of being lazy on my refit now running over 3 years and nearly always on with no problems so it has a tenancy to give on a security blanket of being lazy, Hey! I’m in a hurry and it’s my model. I never use it on client models. Be my luck. But thanks for pointing that out!

7. 8 Kyderdog
    April 30, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Steve,
    If you would hold things up in front of a Photo gray card (or an area with the gray tone) think a lot of your over exposed problems will go away. We have had a similar problems shooting video with lower end video cameras. I think the cameras keep looking for some way to correct the exposure Some of our older cameras would even drop out of focus at times at times.

Good Luck
    Kyderdog

8. 9 Carwyn
    May 1, 2012 at 10:39 am

Steve the orange look of the blue part when they are off are copper ridges. The blue light passes through a copper grill its the same thing with the TNG Enterprise.

Caz