Mar

I’m seeing double!

8 hours and this is what I have so far. Things sped up once I got past all that detail near the bridge and the 2 humps. I had to cut out and break up so many decals in to smaller ones or you will screw up. After awhile you start to see double and triple. So I had to stop when I got a few slightly off center and couldn’t go back and correct them.

All and all I’m pleased and this bird gets a weathering job to boot once all these crazy decals are on.

This isn’t a job for the faint hearted or short tempered. Several times decals broke on me and some rolled under. I had to remove them and put them back in the water and re capture to paper after getting the roll unders out again. And even then sometimes they do it again and I’d repeat the procedure.

The top of the saucer is nearly done and I should move on to the lower section next which doesn’t look as hard. I thought this would take a couple of days. More like 5.

__________________

6 Responses to “I’m seeing double!”

1. March 24, 2011 at 3:06 am

Wow, those look great. That’s really an amazing model. Those decals are subtle, saved a lot of painting I bet.

2. March 24, 2011 at 3:25 am

Tom it does help I can’t imagine having to paint all these Aztecs stencils or not.

3. 3 Kavinsky
    March 24, 2011 at 10:35 pm

It came out well but the procedure certainly sounds nerve wracking, and to think that the only decals they used on the TMP enterprise were the names and registry numbers.

I guess that explains why the reveal shot in tmp was 5 minutes long then, it was probably a mandate from the model department!

4. March 25, 2011 at 3:14 am

Thanks and you’re most likely correct. But TMP model was covered with them too. Some how it went faster on my model of her. Not sure why.

5. 5 Kavinsky
    March 25, 2011 at 3:49 am

Well the overal shape of the TMP enterprise is much smoother than the NX especially with all of those little details Doug and I think Herman put into it.

6. March 25, 2011 at 4:03 am

So true. And it was Doug. He’s the trouble maker!