Feb

Lights, Camera, Almost action…

I got to say I hate Wiggly Eyes! That’s what they give you for light lens. I had to flat sand each one until I could get the backs off. Then clean up the edges. What a pain. They tell you to use a dulling spray on the back side to frost them. I didn’t get the same effect and will and some matt clear on the outside ( by hand and a brush) to help defuse the light more.

Gluing the windows, lens, and the frames was all done using CA. And on the Windows and lens thin CA. Scary and nerve racking work because if it runs onto the clear surfaces you’re screwed (it did! Lucky I had an extra). They said use white glue. Yes perfect but when it hits the water you can forget it. Doesn’t work.

Soldered up all the connectors and connected everything and that works although I think for this kit bigger more diffused LEDs should have been in the kit for the little lens but hopefully diffusing them more will spread them out a bit.

So I’m ready to move on to the wheel house tomorrow. That’s the end of the road on the model build.

Next up is water proof the board and battery. Mount them and add weight and foam for the trim for water running. Lots more still to come.

__________________

7 Responses to “Lights, Camera, Almost action…”

1. 1 Jeff Porteous
    February 25, 2011 at 4:02 am

Beautiful lights. Haven’t commented lately, but have been continuing to follow this build with interest. Attaboy, Steve!

Jeff

2. February 25, 2011 at 4:11 am

Hey Jeff! Thanks. I have one of these now.It’s the one that UPS ran over but you know me. Lets it the lake or find a pool soon. I haven’t run a boat since I last did with you.

3. February 25, 2011 at 8:45 am

That looks really sinister Steve…fiddly work with those light lenses, though!

4. 4 Tony Hardy
    February 26, 2011 at 12:37 am

WOW!!!!! That really looks SUPER! Makes me want to stop remodeling the house and begin working on mine.

• February 26, 2011 at 12:48 am

Tony. Get busy. If you need any info or help let me know and tell the wife to back off! Just kidding. I have one to build too but I must finish the big Enterprise first. Look back at the blog you’ll see what I mean.

5. 6 deg
    February 26, 2011 at 6:08 am

THat’s just the cat’s =^..^= meow, I’m sure Spock and Mouse would agree with me. 🙂