Archive for December, 2010



20
Dec
10

Big sanding and filling over!

Well all I did today was spot and point. Until the hull was nice and smooth. Although there’s still some pointing up to do on the indentations. But all the big sandiing and smoothing is done. Just the little stuff left to do.

Neck is perfect and ready to scribe. So tomorrow I’ll add those blocks behind the tabs and finish the pointing. Scribe the neck and hull and add the neck to the hull.

Things will slow down a bit for the next 3 days while I finish off a Russian RC sub model for a customer. But I’ll do both!

Steve

__________________
And here’s that Russian Alfa Class boat. I have to finish her off. Do a custom paint job and test her in the pool this week. Busy, busy. 😉

19
Dec
10

More of same…but nearly there

Well I’m afraid it’s a bit of more of the same today. However I finally have the real primer coats on. The primer shows well the few divots and dings left to point up but there aren’t many left. So I’m finally past being covered in red dust and all that horrible heavy sanding.

I’ve placed on the front ends of the hulls the array gets mounted to and blended them in. Tomorrow I can fill in behind the flat tabs sticking out of the hull with wood and taper it to fit the array outer cone.

Once the nearly two cans of primer completely cure out I can start scribing windows and attach the neck.

More tomorrow.

Steve

__________________
18
Dec
10

Sanding and filling and…

Sand fill. Sand fill. More sanding. Filling and oh…some primer! Oh wait a minute. More slight filling with spot putty and tomorrow final sanding and primer again. But it’s damp and raining here for the next week so it’s going to go slow. Darn it. Things are not setting or drying fast!

Steve

__________________
P.S. Isn’t amazing how the hull looks like a Coke bottle when its straight all the way back from the very front curve to the hanger deck. Pictures lie and make up illusions for sure. It’s no wonder so many people though they saw that curve on the secondary hell when there is none. The pictures that show it the most are the wet primered pictures. A lesson to the wise. Question and then measure and question again.

17
Dec
10

A bit more…

Sorry not much new here. Christmas shopping. Time with the family. A bit of flying at the field. But tomorrow and for the next three days it’s full time again. I did manage to get the hull nearly ready to primer. Tomorrow for sure. Then the neck and attach them to each half. More tomorrow.

Steve

__________________
15
Dec
10

More yuck!

More hard work and little pay off but that’s modeling for you at times. Getting from point A to B.

Trimmed and flat sanded down all the epoxy and then used finishing glaze on the surfaces to even the whole surface out. Just like I did on the saucer section.

I got as far as flat sanding the first side of the hull and my arm just said no more today. Tomorrow after a bit of rest I’ll sand down all the surfaces and make that second pass and then the spot putty pass. With any luck I’ll get to the primer part on Thursday. Once that’s done I have to scribe a bunch of windows.

More tomorrow.

Steve

P.S. I know Deg, “But worth it.” 😉

13
Dec
10

Glassing…yuck!

Glassing has to be one of my lease favorites in modeling. Epoxy is sticky, gooey, and generally nasty. Not as bad as polyester but right up there.

But it seals just about anything from wood to foam so you have a barrier and strength to really finalize your masters no matter what they are made of. And BTW. Unlike polyester, epoxy doesn’t eat foam of any kind. A huge plus.

So the neck, hull and pylons are all glassed. Now they sit over night and tomorrow I can get back to work.

The silicone molds came out well and I already have the resin parts to tool. I hope to finish the secondary hull by this weekend.

Moving on…

Steve

BTW I use a light dusting of 3M 77 spray adhesive on the wood to help position and conform the glass cloth before I apply the resin.

13
Dec
10

Waste molds…

Today was honey do day and other stuff but I did manage to make a waste mold off the secondary hull base for the array. In order to fine tune this piece I need a hard resin casting to tool. Then mount that to the balsa hull master after I glass it and lock it in.

Basic procedure. Dam up the two halves and pour GI 1000 silicone. It will sit over night and tomorrow I can pour alumilite and tool it up.

More tomorrow.

Steve

__________________



December 2010
M T W T F S S
« Nov   Jan »
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 328 other followers